The fastest way to contact Artz & Sturm: ‪(310) 400-6356‬


How to Check Your Driving Record After a DUI Arrest

Los Angeles DUI lawyerIf you’ve ever been convicted of a moving violation or involved in a traffic accident, you may wonder how it has affected your driving record. You may have seen an increase in your insurance rates or been required to pay hefty fines to the state. If you’ve recently been charged with DUI, your attorney may request an official copy of your report. Regardless of your situation, there are a few things you should understand about California driver’s license records.

Types of Driver’s License Records

  1. CA DMV record: This is your driving history as reported by the state of California to include tickets, license suspensions, and DMV points. The latter details points assigned to all vehicle-related violations spanning three years for at-fault accidents and minor convictions (e.g. speeding) and ten years for major convictions (e.g. DUI, reckless driving).
  2. National Driver Register (NDA): This is a national database that includes information from any state in which you’ve been licensed. The NDA maintains records of “problem drivers” who have a history of serious convictions such as DUI or driver’s license suspensions/revocations. You may need this record to apply for a job that requires vehicle operation or a driver’s license in a new state. For more information, visit the National Driver Register.

How to Check Your Driving Record

The easiest way to obtain your driving record is through the CA Department of Motor Vehicles. The method by which you obtain it will depend upon your specific need.

  1. Unofficial: You may request a copy online through the Driver Record Request page. You will be prompted to register as a certified user and pay a $2 fee.
  2. Official: You may request an official copy of your driving record one of two ways.
  • In person: Visit your local DMV office (appointments are recommended for expedited service), complete Form INF1125, present identification, and pay a fee of $5.
  • By mail: Complete Form INF1125 or compose a written request that includes your name, date of birth, social security number, CA driver’s license number, and signature along with a check for $5. Mail to:

Department of Motor Vehicles

Information Services Branch

Information Release Unit G199

PO Box 944247

Sacramento, CA 94244-2470

Helpful Tips

  • Your car insurance provider will typically have information on your driving history as tickets and accidents affect your overall insurability and premiums. Keep in mind, however, your driving history isn’t reviewed in real time and agents may only have access to information that dates back to the last policy renewal. Though you will not be furnished a copy of the record, you may decide to call your provider to inquire about general history. The insurance agent should have access to specifics such as citation dates, conviction dates, and ticket/accident type.
  • You may be able to request a copy of someone else’s driving history if you have a legitimate need as determined by the DMV. Requests can be made by mail with Form INF70 and the applicable fee.
  • If you find inaccuracies on the report, be prepared to complete another form depending on the situation. There is a “Report of Incorrect Record Form” (DL207) and “Report of Incorrect Driver Record Traffic Collision Form” (DL207A). You can also present court documentation with an “Abstract/Document Error Form” (DL157).

It’s natural to want to put the past behind you in the event of a serious conviction like DUI—but accessing and understanding your driving record is crucial. At the very least it will arm you with the tools and resources you need to move forward and be a safer driver on the road.

If you’ve been arrested for DUI in Los Angeles, contact Jon Artz today at 310-820-1315 or fill out the contact form.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.